Here at Oxford we LOVE getting away with the family, and we’re sure you do too! We want your vacation to be safe and trouble free, so here are a few tips for you.
- Let’s get your car ready for the trip. Head to your mechanic for an inspection before you hit the road. So many small things – a blown tire, bad brakes or faulty windshield wipers can slow you down and even cause an accident.
- Go to bed early. In the rush of getting ready to leave for a trip, it’s easy to stay up too late. Then you’re a tired, sleepy driver. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 100,000 accidents each year in the United States are caused by drowsy driving. Be sure to stop frequently for breaks, too.
- Allow plenty of time to get to your destination. Before you leave, check the internet for road construction and traffic delays. You may even want to plan where you are going to stop for gas and breaks. Rushing leads to speeding which increases the chance of an incident.
- Keep your cell phone charged and handy. A car charger is a great accessory for a road trip. Of course, as the driver, you’re not going to text or email while driving.
- Kids are easily bored – especially on long car trips. Bring things to keep children entertained – books, movies, snacks and games. Complaining children can be a distraction to the driver.
- Check the forecast for the route you are traveling, as well as for any weather alerts. Heat, rain and wind might make for travel hazards
Everyone looks forward to the family vacation. Traveling with family and friends creates special memories and an accident can certainly put a damper on the festivities. Have questions about your auto policy, which drivers are insured or traveling out of state? Contact us! 330-315-3081